- Conversations Top 100 Adult Books of 2015
- Conversations' 25 Most Inspirational Books of 2015
- BOOK REVIEW: The Face That Changed It All by Beverly Johnson
- Conversations Book Club's Top 10 Fiction Summer Reads 2015
- Conversations Book Club's Top 10 summer nonfiction reads 2015
- BOOK REVIEW: One Righteous Man by Arthur Browne
- Conversations Book Club President Cyrus Webb interviewed, Sat. Feb. 21st
- Cyrus Webb Introduces "A.J. and the Talent Show"
- Conversations Book Club's Top 100 Books of 2014
- Conversations Summer Book Fair 2014: Mission Accomplished!
- Conversations Top 25 Summer Reads for Adults (2014)
- Conversations' Top 10 Summer Reads for Young Readers (2014)
- Conversations Announces April 2014 Book Selection: Poetic Meter and Random Prose
Thursday, May 27, 2010
For political pundits, "Super Tuesday" in November 2010 is the date they are watching to see what change will come to America, however, Mississippi native and multi-media personality Cyrus Webb is more interested in Saturday, July 3, 2010. That is the final day of voting in the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity being offered by media mogul Oprah Winfrey. The reward? Five individuals who have the most votes on that date will be finalists in her competition to find the next big tv star. Winfrey has partnered with the celebrated producer of Survivor and The Apprentice to create a competition for her new network,the Oprah Winfrey Network or OWN, and 34-year old Webb believes he has a shot.
"It's not so much about thinking I am better than anyone," says Webb, who has been active in the arts and education-related projects for over a decade. "I just believe that I have been blessed with the ability to help others find and share their voices as well as encourage others to do the same."
In 2003 Webb became the host of his own radio show Conversations with C. A. Webb (now called Conversations LIVE). Since 2003 he has interviewed over 800 guests including some of the biggest names in the arts, entertainment and world of literature and those on the rise, as well as brought attention to issues that matter to everyday individuals. In 2005 Webb followed the radio show with the launch of his local tv show Conversations with C. A. Webb on the ABC affilliate in Mississippi. In 2006 Webb launched what is now the largest co-ed book club in the country: Conversations Book Club. The book club covers all genres and has garnered national attention. Webb has also contributed articles and interviews to over a dozen online and print publications including Mississippi's own Clarion Ledger, Jackson Advocate and The Mississippi Link.
When Webb heard about the competition Oprah was hosting, he knew that it was something he had to do. The contest was announced on Friday, May 14, 2010 and by the 19th Webb had submitted his audition video and was asking for votes.
To help Webb in his endeavor to be one of the 5 finalists on Sat. July 3rd, he is rolling out a national campaign with individuals across the country to make sure the word gets out. He has also launched www.themaleoprah.com to allow people a place to learn about him, vote and also do something else: vote for others, too!
"We can't make it in this world alone," Webb explains. "Yes, it is a competition, but I want to help others as they pursue their dreams as well. This is an opportunity for all of us to bring attention to what matters most to us." Because of this, friends of Webb who have entered the competition are also linked on www.themaleoprah.com so visitors can vote for them.
Webb is using social networking sites to get the word out and will also be leading an offline campaign complete with t-shirts and posters to remind people to vote all the way to the deadline. "It's all about consistancy," he says. "It's not about how strong you start. It's the finish that matters."
Monday, May 17, 2010
* Shadow Play Enertainment's pride and joy, Conversations LIVE! Radio, is gearing up for it's 7th year of interviews and discussions in July 2010. To prepare, the program is taking a hiatus beginning Monday, June 7, 2010 until Friday, June 25, 2010. When the program returns it will continue to host Chef Bruce Tretter's "Quick and Easy Cooking", Herschel Dixon's "Weekly Sports Wrap-Up" and Gail Ambeau's "Fashion Forward". New to the line-up will be an exciting new program called "Inspirational Conversations" with Cyrus Webb and co-host Mary Gilder, author of A MISREPRESENTATION OF MYSELF. It will air live on Sunday mornings at 10:30a.m. EST (9:30a.m. CST/7:30a.m. PT) and include an musical selection, words of inspiration for the week by Gilder and either a guest or book selection from Webb. Look for more details soon at www.conversationsliveradio.com.
* On Thursday, May 20, 2010, J. Nicole Spencer (author of SARAH'S SECRETS) will be an in-studio guest on The Angie Strader Show. Details are at www.tinyurl.com/theangiestradershow or www.wishuponahero.com
* Ladies, are you looking for something that visually expresses the beauty you feel about yourself on the inside? Then fashion designer Gail Ambeau has something for you. Introducing Ambeau's Affirmations, and the first t-shirt, I AM BEAUTIFUL, is now available. See the shirt and get details at www.tinyurl.com/gailambeau and purchase yours here: https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_flow&SESSION=twjfOo_yt393XKGheyldLi_9_vHyYR-sRQWrn7TB7w_pWutBS8VnPQQfI4i&dispatch=50a222a57771920b6a3d7b606239e4d529b525e0b7e69bf0224adecfb0124e9bd7371532d7fbae47438e81694aebe304157fd44efd47332c
* Throughout May 2010 and continuing throughout September 2010, a body of talented authors are "touring" the world with Shadow Play Entertainment through interviews, profiles and book discussions in what is called the Conference Call Conversations Tour. Visit www.conversationstour.com for all the details about how you can "book" any of them today. You can also purchase their book directly from the site through Amazon.com. Participating authors include Electa Rome Parks (DIARY OF A STALKER), Jermaine Demouchette (JAMES DEMOUCHETTE VS. THE STATE OF TEXAS), J. Nicole Spencer (SARAH'S SECRETS), Andre Johnson (YEARNING FOR CONTROL), Deborah Gary (TEENAGE MOTHER'S GUIDE TO SURVIVAL: Rising Above The Odds), D. D. Turner (CHRONICLES OF A HIP HOP LEGEND), Steve Hyppolite (A WARRIOR'S PASSAGE), Mary E. Gilder (A MISREPRESENTATION OF MYSELF), Mr. Mean Mug (TATTOO TEARS), Maria Stewart (LOOKING FOR CLOSURE), Mark Eller (TRAITOR), Gary Kaschak (LIFESTONE), Rita B. Davis (OVERWHELMED), Joseph Henderson (I DON'T WANT TO DIE ALL ALONE), Patricia A. Thomas (GOD REVEALS A MYSTERY), H. Michael Harvey (PAPER PUZZLE), T. C. Alexander (CONSEQUENCES OF ADULTERY), Dr. Diane Hassan (ANGELS AMONG US...EVEN IN IRAQ), DeLa Sandra McKnight (THE SPIRIT OF NEW ORLEANS) and Tray Chaney (THE TRUTH YOU CAN'T BETRAY).
* In May 2010 Cyrus Webb visited Mrs. Jacqueline Bolden's classes at Peeples Middle School in Jackson, MS to talk about who they are, how the world sees them and what their plans are for the future. The project was called "What Makes Me ME" and resulted in the students pouring out their hearts on paper for the world to see. Read their amazing stories here: http://cawebbonline.blogspot.com/2010/05/shadow-play-entertainment-presents-what.html
* Ever since USA Today profiled Cyrus Webb's forum on the Presidential election in 2008, his series "Cyrus Webb Presents..." has gotten national attention. Now with them being carried not only with in-person events but through his radio show Conversations LIVE!, people everywhere are paying attention and getting involved. See which conversations you missed and what's coming up at this link: http://cawebbonline.blogspot.com/2010/05/introducing-cyrus-webb-presents.html
For more information about any of the above, contact Cyrus Webb at email@example.com or 601.896.5616. You can also find out additional information at www.shadowplayent.com or www.cyruswebb.com.
Monday, May 10, 2010
In Dec. 2009, Telford appeared as a guest on Conversations LIVE! Radio and talked about the book and what he hoped readers would take away from it. You can listen to the previous interview here. On Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 7p.m. EST (6p.m. CST/4p.m. PT), the author will return to Conversations to go over lessons from the book and to talk about what's next for him. (You can listen to the live interview at www.blogtalkradio.com/converationslive. )
For more information about the book or to order your copy, visit www.alifeontherun.com.
REVIEW FOR A LIFE ON THE RUN (by Cyrus Webb for Conversations Book Club and Conversations Magazine)
It takes a great deal of courage and comfort with one's own self to write a memoir like that presented by Dr. John Telford in A LIFE ON THE RUN. While some might want to just focus on their achievements and what others believe make them great, Telford gives us the whole man, showing that imperfect, broken beings can be used to do things others just talk about but never accomplish.
The book is about action. Whether you are referring to his wide range of accolades, working on race relations and seeking change within the school system, one thing you can't say about the author is that he was just waiting on others to make a difference. He realized early on the importance of being the difference you wanted to see. The work may not ever be finished, but as long as there is a work in progress there is work to be done.
A LIFE ON THE RUN is a great book to reflect on in the New Year. With a life that spans many reincarnations, it seems one of the biggest lessons we can learn from John Telford is the importance of being true to yourself. If you are able to do that, maybe your life will be seen as a model for other imperfect individuals to learn from when it comes to making a difference.
Saturday, May 1, 2010
Over the past 7 years, Conversations LIVE! Radio has brought you over 800 guests from the worlds of the arts, entertainment and politics discussing what's new and current events of the day. In 2010 alone host Cyrus Webb has interviewed over 140 guests who have used his show to share their stories---and tens of thousands have tuned in.
Now with a new month, Webb is looking forward to introducing new guests to the world and continuing a dialogue that is needed. May 2010 will bring conversations of faith, entrepreneurship and education, and promises to have something for everyone.
To listen to the broadcast live at the designated times, simply visit www.blogtalkradio.com.conversationslive or listen via the studio switchboard at 1.347.426.3645. Missed the live shows and want to catch the podcasts? You will find them at www.conversationsliveradio.com.com.
* Monday, May 3, 2010 @ 1p.m. EST (12p.m. CST/10a.m. PT) --- Author Bill Schley discussing his powerful book WHY JOHNNY CAN'T BRAND and what businesses need to understand about advertising in 2010.
* Monday, May 3, 2010 @ 8p.m. EST (7p.m. CST/5p.m. PT) --- At the top of the hour author Michelle Pearl discusses her book "Wake Up". At 30 min. past the hour, chef Bruce Tretter gives this week's "Quick and Easy Cooking Tip".
* Tuesday, May 4, 2010 @ 8p.m. EST (7p.m. CST/5p.m. PT) --- Author Audrey Legrand discusses her book "HOW TO GET OUT OF JOB JAIL".
* Wednesday, May 5, 2010 @ 8p.m. EST (7p.m. CST/5p.m. PT) --- At the top of the hour, author Tiffani McClain makes her first appearance on Conversations to discuss how she is using social networking to promote other authors and her upcoming book "The Creative Mind of Tiffani Real". At 30 min. past the hour, educator and author Anthony Pedriana returns to Conversations to discuss his book LEAVING JOHNNY BEHIND.
* Thursday, May 6, 2010 @ 1p.m. EST (12p.m. CST/10a.m. PT) --- Author Betty Thesky discusses her book BETTY IN THE SKY WITH A SUITCASE.
* Thursday, May 6, 2010 @ 8p.m. EST (7p.m. CST/5p.m. PT) --- At the top of the hour, Webb welcomes author Shawna Stewart to discuss her latest work. At 30 min. past the hour, author Thomas Heric joins the program to discuss his book THE HEALERS.
* Friday, May 7, 2010 @ 1p.m. EST (12p.m. CST/10a.m PT) --- At the top of the hour, Webb interviews Jacob Nelson Lurie, author of THE FRIDAY NIGHT CLUB. At 30 min. past the hour, join fashion designer Gail Ambeau for this week's edition of "Fashion Forward."
* Monday, May 10, 2010 @ 1p.m. EST (12p.m. CST/10a.m. PT) --- Pulitzer Prize winning author Joseph Halliman discusses his book WHY WE MAKE MISTAKES.
* Monday, May 10, 2010 @ 8p.m. EST (7p.m. CST/5p.m. PT) --- Author Jill Starishevsky discusses the issue of child abuse and her book MY BODY BELONGS TO ME. At 30 min. past the hour, chef Bruce Tretter discusses this week's edition of "Quick and Easy Cooking".
* Tuesday, May 11, 2010 @ 1p.m.EST (12p.m. CST/10a.m. PT) --- Author Joy King returns to Conversations to talk about her literary journey and what's next for her.
* Tuesday, May 11, 2010 @ 8p.m. EST (7p.m. CST/5p.m. PT) --- Author Glen David Gold discusses his book SUNNYSIDE.
* Wednesday, May 12, 2010 @ 1p.m. EST (12p.m. CST/10 a.m. PT) --- Author Marilyn Madison Campbell discusses what's next for her in 2010.
* Wednesday, May 12, 2010 @ 8p.m. EST (7p.m. CST/5p.m. PT) --- At the top of the hour, Jack Gresham discusses his book 18 BILLION. At 30 min. past the hour, Dr. Tom Harbin discusses the lessons in his book WAKING UP BLIND.
* Thursday, May 13, 2010 @ 1p.m. EST (12p.m. CST/10a.m. PT) --- At the top of the hour author Laurie Notaro discusses her book SPOOKY LITTLE GIRLS. AT 30 min. past the hour, author Jeanne McNaney discusses the lessons her new book MIRACLE IN SUMATRA.
* Thursday, May 13, 2010 @ 8p.m. EST (7p.m. CST/5p.m. PT) --- At the top of the hour, author Sean Gardner returns to Conversations to discuss relationships and his book EXCESS BAGGAGE. At 30 min. past the hour, Conversations' Author of the Year--- Bestselling author Wahida Clark---returns to the program to discuss her amazing career and what's next for her.
* Sunday, May 16, 2010 @ 7p.m. EST (6p.m. CST/4p.m. PT) --- Author Donald Welch takes listeners into the journey of his career as an author and discusses his latest book IN MY SISTER'S HOUSE.
* Sunday, May 16, 2010 @ 7:30p.m. EST (6:30p.m. CST/4:30p.m. PT) --- Webb hosts a special show called "Playa Connected: The Man. The Music. The Mission.", sharing the last interview of Carl Watts and talking with other members of the group about moving forward. They will also premiere new music on the program.
* Monday, May 17, 2010 @ 8p.m. EST (7p.m. CST/5p.m. PT) --- At the top of the hour, Charles Clark of Brotha Online Magazine returns to Conversations to talk about its recent anniversary and what's next for it in the upcoming online issue.At 30 min. past the hour, chef Bruce Tretter gives week's "Quick and Easy Cooking Tip".
* Tuesday, May 18, 2010 @ 1p.m. EST (12p.m. CST/10a.m. PT) --- Author Katherine Center discusses her new book GET LUCKY.
* Tuesday, May 18, 2010 @ 8p.m. EST (7p.m. CST/5p.m. PT) --- Author Enoch Bowman discusses his book HOW TO BUILD WEALTH WITH KNOWLEDGE.
* Wednesday, May 19, 2010 @ 1p.m. EST (12p.m. CST/10am. PT) --- Author Jeannette Katzir discusses her powerful book BROKEN BIRDS.
* Wednesday, May 19, 2010 @ 8p.m. EST (7p.m. CST/5p.m. PT) --- Author Vishwa Prakash discusses his book WHO STOLE MY SOUL?
* Thursday, May 20, 2010 @ 8p.m. EST (7p.m. CST/5p.m. PT) --- Cyrus Webb Presents A Special Hour Presentation: "The Business of Books".
* Sunday, May 23, 2010 @ 7p.m. EST (6p.m. CST/4p.m. PT) --- Cyrus Webb talks with John Telford, author of May 2010's Book of the Month called A LIFE ON THE RUN. Have questions for the author and is support of quality education? Call into the show during the broadcast!
* Monday, May 24, 2010 @ 8p.m. EST (7p.m. CST/5p.m.PT) --- Author Paul Tatman discusses his new book DEADLINE., followed at 30 min. past the hour by Chef Bruce Tretter's "Quick and Easy Cooking Tip".
* Tuesday, May 25, 2010 @ 1p.m. EST (12p.m. CST/10a.m PT) --- Author Marian Anthony makes his first appearance on Conversations LIVE! Radio
* Tuesday, May 25, 2010 @ 8p.m. EST (7p.m. CST/5p.m. PT) --- At the top of the hour, author Alvin Delgado discusses his book SPIRIT OF THE GANG, followed at 30 min. past the hour by author George Jack to discuss his new book THE CHIP.
* Wednesday, May 26, 2010 @ 1p.m. EST (12p.m. CST/10a.m. PT) --- Author Kisha Spletzer discusses her book JEWELS.
* Wednesday, May 26, 2010 @ 8p.m. EST (7p.m. CST/5p.m. PT)--- The creator of the famed Cheetah Girls, author Deborah Gregory talks about her journey as an author and what's next for her.
* Thursday, May 27, 2010 @ 1p.m. EST (12p.m. CST/10a.m. PT) ---- Author Raffi Yessayan discusses his celebrated literary career and his new book 2 IN THE HAT.
* Thursday, May 27, 2010 @ 8p.m. EST (7p.m. CST/5p.m. PT) --- Author Stephanie L. Jones talks about being a survivor of sexual abuse and her powerful book THE ENEMY BETWEEN MY LEGS.
* Friday, May 28, 2010 @ 1p.m. EST (12p.m. CST/10a.m. PT) --- Recording artist Funkghost discusses his music career and debuts his new single I'M YOUR DJ. At 30 min. past the hour, host Gail Ambeau of Fashoin Forward will talk with Funkghost about his style.
* Monday, May 31, 2010 @ 8p.m. EST (7p.m. CST/5p.m. PT) --- Author Electa Rome Parks returns to Conversations to discuss her literary career and new book DIARY OF A STALKER.
(Saturday, May 8, 2010) Dreams Are Powerful! During Mother's Day week, May 2-9, 2010, girls and women will gather from around the country to create vision boards that reflect the dreams and desires to their hearts. The events will take place in homes, businesses, bookstores, studios, offices, spas, gyms, schools and more. The events are designed to help girls and women embrace their dreams and create a supportive community to a make them happen.
Conversations Book Club's chapter in Mississippi will host such an event on Saturday, May 8, 2010 beginning at 6p.m. at Appetizers Restaurant (3000 HWY 80 E * Pearl, MS). Hosted by Book Club President and host of Conversations LIVE! Radio Cyrus Webb, the event will be an opportunity for attendees to talk about their visions and dreams and begin putting a plan in place to achieve them.
This entire week of events is the brainchild of Jordan Mercedes. Aside from being the host of Thrive Connect Radio and a Life Coaching Advocate, Jordan is a Creative Visionary who is passionate about women connecting with their dreams and living their destiny. If you have passion for working with girls or to inspire women to live their greatness, join the event as a host or event leader. Be a part of a powerful group of leaders who are making the Biggest Vision Board Event in History happen!
To be a part of Conversations' event in Mississippi, contact Cyrus Webb at firstname.lastname@example.org or 601.896.5616. Details can also be found at www.shadowplayent.com , www.thebestbookclub.info and www.conversationsliveradio.com. For more information about the natonal project, contact Jordan Mercedes at 562-305-8764.